<$BlogRSDUrl$>

<< Go Back to the Main Page

 

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Manifesto in Key of E

what i'm listening to Right Now: Nellie McKay, Get Away From Me - Waiter
----------------------------------------------------

Here's my manifesto of Rock n Roll in the Real World.

I tend to concentrate my site on Mainstream Indie bands. If there is a better term, I'd like to hear it, but Mainstream Indie kinda sums it all up. What I mean is the bands that are on Major Labels (RCA, Sony etc) but are "indie" sounding.

I want this website to be a good entry point into good music. So if you've been listening to the radio a lot and thinking "there's no good music out there" well, then maybe you'll stumble on this site and it will turn you on to some awesome music. The most important part of my plan: You can find all these bands in your local town!

Most towns that "real worlders" live in have Walmarts and nothing else. I want you to know that there is good music in the Walmart. Most "real worlders" out in "flyover country" aren't even lucky enough to have a Best Buy. I'm luckier than most myself. So if I talk up a band here, there's a good chance you'll find it in your town (and of course you shouldn't shy away from buying over the web).

Soooooo.....thats the idea I have brewing over here. I don't like to talk to much about "real" indie bands that don't have cds at your local Best Buy/Walmart/Target (even though I like plenty of them too). If you like what you hear here, and you're ready to dig deeper, you'll have no problems following the links over there --> to some of the great weblogs and webzines that will feed your needs for all the other stuff I haven't heard yet. So go explore!!

A great place to start is the webzine Let Them Eat Lead. Now, Lead's editor Max Dropout and I have had our disagreements, but he was nice enough to drop me line to let me know his new issue is up. It's good as always, but the most relevant article to this weblog is his great take on the Jack White vs Von Bodies punch out.

I don't know if Max would dare agree with anything I have to say, but I like the guy precisely because we are the same. We love music and we want people to listen to better stuff.

PS when I was pecking through my archives trying to find the "Lead Hates Me" post...


<< Go Back to the Main Page

Feel Free to scroll up and check out my Archives! Thanks for stopping by!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?