<$BlogRSDUrl$>

<< Go Back to the Main Page

 

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

what I'm listening too Right Now: Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited - Desolation Row

---------------------
Go to the Strokes Fan page and find July 2, 2003. Listen....hell watch "Vitaman C" do her cover version of "Last Night." (I saw this on theModernAge)
----------------------

Hardglitter has the best Siren pics i've seen yet. (for some reason it makes my Opera crash, so I had to open it in IE.)

And in honor of her great Siren pics I offer up the rest of my Siren pics. I'm also calling this Part 3 of the New York trip since it covers what happened when the Nellie McKay thing messed up my whole night. But it turned out REALLY awesome though. Read on.

On Saturday, July 19, 2003, I rode the Greyhound up to NYC. Walked around a lot. Saw some bands perform. Saw some comedians perform. Stayed awake for 24 plus straight hours and then rode the Greyhound back home.

Here are some photos from that day (photos will open in same window and are posted in chonological order):

Self Portrait Look how happy and excited I am. I don't usually have such a big double chin.

Soho Deli I liked the "bush lies" graffiti so I took a picture.

Mulberry Street A street where Beautiful People walk.

Playground These Kids were playing in the water. People were reading on benches.

Tompkins Dog Run Dogs played and ran around.

Siren Festival: The Kills This is what you see if you go to the Siren Festival. Those specks way up front are singing and playing guitars. Trust me.

Siren Festival: The Dirtbombs The Dirtbombs ROCK!!

Coney Island: Freak Show This is the freak show I talked about in the July 24, 2003 post on my blog

Coney Island: Cyclone Look closely and you'll see the train is centered perfectly.

Hipsters Drawing I was walking along at Siren when I saw these people drawing. I think they were sketching other people they saw walking by. I turned around and discretely snapped this picture.

Hipsters Watching !!! These are some hipster types who were waiting for !!! to bore, bore, bore. Really great dance rock=Liars, Crap=!!!! (note fourth exclamation point)

HA! Comedy Club The upstairs room where I saw Rick Shapiro. We even talked afterward for a little bit. The rumpled piece of paper on the stage is his notes. He dropped them near the end. I picked them up and was going to keep them. But he was standing outside and I asked him, "Do you mind if I keep your notes?" But I guess he minded, because he took them back and stuffed them into a notebook. Literally stuffed them into. The notebook was filled with loose leaf sheets of paper, but they were all balled up instead of smoothed out.

He told me I looked "alternative" and asked if I was an artist. I told him that I was building websites for the army. It depressed me to admit it. He then asked me how I ended up at a comedy club in Manhattan at 3 in the morning. When I told him that I was going to FEZ to see Nellie McKay, his eyes got big. He knew exactly who I was talking about. He said, "My manager Lach is always telling me, 'You gotta check out this girl'" Rick Shapiro and Nellie McKay are both big in the antifolk Sidewalk Cafe scene in New York. He said that Nellie was at his "hour thing" which I assume means his hour long show. He also said "Hey, if you see Nellie tell her we were meant to be together." So Nellie if you stumble onto this site. Rick said you were meant to be together.

There was this other comedian who was Philippino. He was a writer for Crank Yankers which I don't really care for, but I did care for his stand-up act. He was the funniest guy there. Very well written, timed. Smart Comedy! I don't remember his name, but he was GREAT!

Back on the Bus Here is the same pose as the first Self Portrait above, but after
New York City has had it's way with me. I look as tired as I felt. Again I have to state that I don't really have a double chin.

Wore Out but Back Home Here I am when I just barely walked in the door. I slept the whole 8 hours on the bus so I wasn't as tired as I was in the previous picture. You can see that I don't really have a double chin. I also don't usually wear my glasses, except when I'm traveling. The glasses are a good three years old and lopsided from falling asleep in them to many times.

Corner of My Living Room I was trying to finish off the roll and I took this picture. I like it now. In 20 years I'll look at this picture and remember a lot about who I was back then. It says a lot about my hopes and dreams, and in 20 years I'll know whether I've achieved them.

The brown vinyl chair is special to me. I was a military kid so I moved a lot, and the only thing that was a constant in my life was this chair. It's been with us everywhere we ever lived. My dad finally upgraded to a nice green leather recliner about two years ago. So I took ownership of the Brown Beast and now it's mine.

I don't sit in it much because of the layout of the living room, but I always set my guitar in the chair. So I can pick it up whenever I feel inspired, and I won't have to go in the spare bedroom to play.

I keep my CD's in that shelf over there, and there is my old computer sitting by the chair, forgotten and waiting to be discarded. And there are some pictures on the wall.

Shaq the Dog This is the family dog. His name is Shaq. I named him that because when he was a puppy he had the biggest feet. And Shaquille O'Neal had just joined the NBA and there was a lot of talk about his size 22's. It's a really great dog name too. Sorry Shaquille.

<< Go Back to the Main Page

Feel Free to scroll up and check out my Archives! Thanks for stopping by!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?