<$BlogRSDUrl$>

<< Go Back to the Main Page

 

Friday, September 17, 2021

Joanna Newsom on Brooklyn 99 Finale.

 The finale of Brooklyn 99 was last night and I was happy to have it end on a "Heist" episode. Those really were the best episodes of 99 and binging all the Halloween Heist episodes has become a tradition in our family. My two kids 11-13 love heist season, the week of Halloween, when we all sit down and watch a few each night. I like Santiagos win in, I think it was Heist 3, the Heistening.

My daughters love the Netflix Babysitter's Club and so we love to quote Diaz and Santiago, "You're such a Mary Anne." "It's true! I am!"

Anyway, this final heist, and final episode of 99 had a little cameo from the amazing Joanna Newsom! And I was surprised to see it, even though this show stars Joanna's husband whats-his-name. So I thought I'd document her cameo. Joanna Newsom ties into this old blog cause I still listen and still love it and still encourage all of you to listen to her.  

I had a horrible job on Langley AFB when i was a Govt contractor and I used to take my lunch breaks in my car and listen to her Bear song and try to figure out the story without reading the lyrics, even though they were published with the Compact Disk (I felt I had to spell out CD, to future proof this post. Who's gonna know what a CD is except us olds?)

There is a scene in the Dylan documentary Scorsese did where Dylan is reading some advertising copy off of a sign and mixing up the words and rearranging them. I was thinking of that this morning when I listened to Joanna's Inflammatory Writ where words seem to exist cause they sound good first, before worrying about make sense (though they mostly make sense). Just read it out loud and listen to the L (el) sounds

"While across the great plains

Keening lovely & awful

Ululate the lost Great American Novels —

An unlawful lot, left to stutter and freeze, floodlit" 


<< Go Back to the Main Page

Feel Free to scroll up and check out my Archives! Thanks for stopping by!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?