<$BlogRSDUrl$>

<< Go Back to the Main Page

 

Thursday, May 06, 2004

I Whore Out Public Radio

what i'm listening to Right Now: Bob Dylan, Live 1964 - Mr. Tambourine Man
----------------------------------------------------

If you were listening to whro public radio last night around 8:11ish, you might of heard a little name that sounded suspiciously like Jaime's and Matthew's, pledging our support to Public Radio on behalf of the King and Caroline. That's right, I whored out PRI for my own selfish needs.

Sam McDonald, the music critic for the Daily Press was there helping out with the pledge drive on "Out of the Box," the hip independent radio show that comes on between 7-8:30 Mon-Thurs.

"Hello, I'd like to pledge a hundred dollars"

"O.K. Did you know that a pledge over 65 dollars gets a free CD?"

"Matt, which cd do you want?"

"uhh, uhh, uhh, how 'bout.....uhh, Iron and Wine?"

"Iron and Wine?"

"Oh, that's a great choice. Did you also know that for 20 more dollars you can get a second CD?"

"Did you know we can get a second CD for 20 dollars more?"

"uhh, I did know that actually. (I forgot I was going to ask for the Waifs), uh, what do they have?"

"What do you have? Do you want Beth Orton's something Daybreak, or you already have that one?"

"No I don't have that one, get that one."

****

"...with generous support from listeners like Jaime and Matthew from up your way Sam, in Newport News. They want us to say that they are pledging on behalf of the King and Caroline, what ever that means."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Do you know what that means Sam?"

"Yeah, that's a band from up our way."

And that is how Jaime got her name spoken on the radio. I was going to pledge anyway, but since Sam was there I figured he would get a kick out of the King and Caroline reference.

In a fun side note, I was telling the story to our Cinco De Mayo cohorts, Paul and Brooke up in Williamsburg last night. I mentioned Iron and Wine, and Brooke says, "Oh, I know him! He was my brothers roommate for years and years in Florida, and I was supposed to marry him until he married someone else, so I just married Paul." And it turns out Iron and Wine was the guy Paul's been playing for me every time I go up there, but he was calling him "Brooke's friend Sam."

Small world, huh?

<< Go Back to the Main Page

Feel Free to scroll up and check out my Archives! Thanks for stopping by!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?