<$BlogRSDUrl$>

<< Go Back to the Main Page

 

Friday, October 24, 2003

Strokes Radio Show

Sound Opinions is a Chicago Radio show that is cohosted by the rock critics for the two big Chicago newspapers. I listen to them while I'm at work.

The Strokes show if finally up. They talk about the Strokes and review the new album 'Room on Fire'. You can find it here.

I haven't listened to the leaked versions yet. I know where to get the leaked version, but I've refrained. I have heard all of the new songs that they debuted last year during the tours. "Between Love and Hate (formally Ze Newie)", "You Talk Way To Much", "Meet Me in the Bathroom", and "The Way it Is". I heard these songs at their live shows, and listened to the live bootlegs of these songs for over a year. I really liked them. They sound very much like the songs on 'Is This It'. They wrote these songs while on the 'Is This It' tour so it makes sense that they sound a lot like the 'Is This It' songs.

The other tracks that fill out the album were written after the "Is This It" period. Recently I've heard these post-Is This It songs at the live show I went to, and the Sound Opinions radio show played some long clips of the new tracks. I haven't heard the album yet, as I said before, but I'm going to make some comments anyway.

Here is the track list for Room on Fire. I've put an (N) on the post-Is This It songs and a (O) on the Is This It era songs:

’What Ever Happened?’ (N)
’Reptilia’ (N)
’Automatic Stop’ (N)
’12:51’ (N)
’You Talk Way Too Much’ (O)
’Between Love & Hate’ (O)
’Meet Me In The Bathroom’ (O)
’Under Control’ (N)
’The Way It Is’ (O)
’The End Has No End’ (N)
’I Can't Win’ (N)


In the little bit I've heard of the new album, I hear a distinct difference in the attitude between the (O) songs and the (N) songs. I can hear the difference of the songs Julian wrote while on tour, versus the songs he wrote later, when he was back in New York. On tour (the (O) songs) are more hectic. Harder. Rocking. The After-tour (the (N) songs) are much mellow-er. Laid back. Relaxed. Sigh's.

But I've only heard the live versions of all these songs, and a few clips of the album stuff, so this is just a guess. Live versions always sound different than the Album versions. I'll find out if my theory is correct this Tuesday.


<< Go Back to the Main Page

Feel Free to scroll up and check out my Archives! Thanks for stopping by!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?