<$BlogRSDUrl$>

<< Go Back to the Main Page

 

Thursday, August 21, 2003

what i'm listening to Right Now: Bob Dylan, Live at Sheffield May 16, 1966 (bootleg) - Visions of Johanna
---------------------------------------

Wow, you'll never guess what happened to me. My coworker shows up yesterday with 4 Gigs worth of Bob Dylan mp3s. Says his buddy had it. He knows I like Dylan so he copied it for me. It's every album Dylan ever released officially. Every Album!! I don't even care much beyond 75, but if I want I got 'em. I'll pay for most of them anyway. The best part though was the bootleg stuff on there. Live at the Finjan Club in Montréal, 1962. The John Lennon vs Bob Dylan limo ride, 1966, and the Glasgow Hotel tape from 1966!! You have no Idea what I'm talking about, but it's AWESOME!!
-------------------------------------

Remember Longwave is on Carson Daly tonight. I'll set my VCR and check 'em out.

The YYY's were rerun on Letterman last night. They are written up in this downloadable 'zine called Let Them Eat Lead that Melody Nelson told me about.

This 'zine is cool. I'm glad melody posted it. But I have to have another rant.

When I read the article about the YYY's, it just helps justify this website. It's called "Rock n Roll in the Real World" because of articles like this.

The article is a negative reviewing of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's first full length album "Fever to Tell." Quoting:

"...the Yeah Yeah Yeah's are indeed a very good band live, and...this record is a woeful misrepresentation of the trio's power."

I've never seen the YYY's live and most likely never will. They probably won't make it to my town 'cause Karen O hates touring. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm not going to tell you the author is wrong saying an album sucks because it's not as good as seeing them live. Some bands are better live. Most bands are better live. Read the blogs I link in my sidebar. Read the ones they link. Most of them are New York types who are so lucky to see new bands live all the time. We here in the real world don't have that luxury. We depend on the performance burned onto those CD's. The recorded performance trumps all.

The recorded performance is the key for us!

And on "Fever to Tell" the Yeah Yeah Yeah's have succeeded in creating an Album. It's a whole thing to be digested in a single sitting. It deserves to be one big track. It's a night on the town. You're excited; you're getting ready to go out. You're "Rich." "I'll take you out boy." You got a "Date with the Night" and you got your "Man” you like him. He "makes me want to die" he "makes me want to kill” You’re dancing. "Tick Tick Tick Tick” you’re grooving. You're bumpin butts. Etc Etc Etc.

The whole album is a whole night out. By the end, its morning and you're introspective. You're unsure. Is this what I want to be doing with my life? Am I using "partying" and going out drinking as a substitute for experience?

I think this is a great album that us Real Worlders will enjoy without the crutch of comparisons to their live shows.

I must keep in mind however that this zine's target audience is not us Real Worlders and that it's unfair to criticize the article on Real World standards.

Of course, in the same 'zine is an article by Miss Modernage herself who tells me I shouldn't take anything rock "journalists" take seriously. This sounds like quite the responsibility dodge. Don't give your last name. Don't allow your picture to be shown. Don't use your name in the 'zine. Tell your readers that you're just out to make a buck. Bad mojo. But it's a damn good weblog she has, and it entertains me. I don't go to weblogs to have my life changed forever. I'm just there to have a good time and read some documentation on what others so misguidedly think is great.
----------------------------------------

Liz Phair reviewed on Fresh Air

<< Go Back to the Main Page

Feel Free to scroll up and check out my Archives! Thanks for stopping by!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?