<$BlogRSDUrl$>

<< Go Back to the Main Page

 

Saturday, May 17, 2003

I actually saw Dylan last week in Portsmouth, VA. His first show after a day off, and the first show of what is a scheduled four in a row for him. Portsmouth has a beautiful new concert hall. Outdoors, on the harbor, amidst the Cranes of the shipyards, and the sailboats with owners names painted on the back, the Harbor Center Pavilion’s peaked tents shine a bright white. This is all important info, because it is my belief that it directly contributes to the most wonderful mood he was in. Smiling, laughing, thumbs up, and Thank You's were clearly noticeable from seat J-29.

Four days later, in Maryland, the boards had posts like:
"It was sad. The last night of four in a row is always bound to be bad but I just felt like I was at a bedside vigil more than a concert. The band rocked as always but Bob felt like he was mailing it in the way he did during the Dead/Petty days."

This phenomenon is an important one that I am adding to my show selection criteria. You see, this very morning at 10am, tickets for the White Stripes show in Raleigh, NC went on sale. It’s a four hour ‘93 Mustang ride from the yellow house on North Ave but Raleigh is the closest they are coming to the Peninsula I call home. It is also the first show they are doing in America this tour.

I am sick of paying good money to be horribly disappointed at rock-n-roll shows! Bob Dylan at MCI Center in 2000, Pink opening for Kravitz, The Donnas at Alley Katz in Richmond (although discovering Longwave was good), etc. Living in a shipyard town, down the road from the James River, I have to make some serious treks to see good rock-n-roll. That means giving Clear Channel lots of money, and supporting terror by burning gallons of gas to travel three or more hours to see my favorite rock-n-rollers.

Now, I’m not averse to spending hard earned bread as long as I get value for my dollar. I spent 100 dollars a ticket and traveled 8 hours to see the Strokes and the White Stripes at Radio City Music hall. Worth it.

So I have decided to see the White Stripes again this tour. I know I'll get good value for my money you see. Issue: I’m planning to visit Chicago for the Taste. India.Arie is playing, plus my girl has family in Elmhurst to visit. Sheryl Crow is playing too, and the girls will dig that. Guess what though? Tickets go on sale tomorrow for the two ‘Stripes shows in Chicago...during the taste!! Dilemma, Dilemma.

So now the plan is to wait till tomorrow and try to score 4 tickets to the July 2nd show in Chicago. Will the big city show sell out too quickly for me get the tickets? If I get the Chicago tickets do I still go see the Raleigh show? Will tickets be available for the Raleigh show if I wait? Is it worth the cash for the Raleigh show if I'm going to see them in Chicago? Dilemma indeed!

Guesstimations for why Raleigh would be an extra special show, and worth the money:

First show in America this tour = Well rested, ready to rock attitude from band.
Smaller city, intimate venue = ready to rock attitude from crowd.
New album is AWESOME = I really want to see them live twice.

I’m already going to be riding my chopper down past Raleigh for the SMSO motorcycle rally later that same week. So maybe I should go down a day early, see the Stripes show, and then keep heading to the rally.

Of course, if I do this, it will cost me. So the questions begs: What Value can I expect for my money?

<< Go Back to the Main Page

Feel Free to scroll up and check out my Archives! Thanks for stopping by!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?